Dana Wicker Atkins for EDUCATION

Please vote on May 4th!

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Where I come from...

I was born and raised in Sanford. I love Sanford.

My parents were born in Sanford. My grandparents called Sanford home. And it just keeps going.

My grandparents on both sides were very dedicated to civic duty.

My grandfather, J. Shelton Wicker served as a representative for our State House for 16 years. He was instrumental in the emergence of the Battleship that is harbored in Wilmington, he brought about greater signage to Sanford on major interstates, and he helped promote the highway systems that run into Sanford today. He was a great man, loved by many.

His wife, Clarice Burns Wicker immersed herself in civic duties. Her name sits on the plaque at our main library. She chaired the Historic Commission. She brought about major change to our local hospital after my grandfather passed away there unnecessarily. She was a supposed force to be reckoned with.

My grandfather on my mother's side, Eddie Turnage, was a big man with a big heart. He served on our local sheriff's team, and was primarily responsible for hauling prisoners to and from Sanford. He ran for local office about 7 years before his death, hoping to earn a seat as a County Commissioner. He was deeply patriotic and was consistently seen in the paper for a Letter to the Editor that he had composed about our country.

Everyone in Sanford knows of my uncle, Dennis Wicker, who followed in his father's footsteps and served in our House of Representatives. He also was majority leader for quite some time.
Dennis was a great asset to Sanford and our state. He continues to work behind the scenes in Raleigh as an attorney.

I came to the decision to run in the race not to follow in footsteps, although I have some very large ones to fill. I simply care. Maybe a little too much.

I was upset last year when I heard that our teachers were being persuaded to NOT speak out at a school board meeting. This made me question things in our community.

I served on the Historic Preservation Commission and Temple Theatre Board. I currently serve the Downtown Sanford, Inc, board, where I sit as vice-chair. I sat on the Research Team for the Lee County Second Century project. I am deeply rooted in our community and spend my time trying to make a difference.

Now my focus has transferred to my children and their future in education in Lee County. I want my kids in public school, but I want my school system to meet my standards. And there are issues at hand that need to be addressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment